tart apples, pared,cored,quartered and sliced
( I like Granny Smith apples)
( or brown sugar)
red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon soy margarine or 1 tablespoon
( or butter)
- Trim outer leaves from cabbage; cut into fourths and remove the inner core; slice cabbage thinly.
- Add enough water to cover bottom of large saucepan or dutch oven by about 1 inch; cover and bring to a boil.
- Add cabbage; cover and return to a boil; then lower heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally until cabbage is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add apples to kettle and cook 10 minutes more.
- Drain excess liquid from pan, if any.
- Stir in vinegar, butter, brown sugar, and pepper.
- Mix until well blended and serve.