instant mashed potatoes, prepared according to direction on package
4 -6 ounces
onion, chopped fine and sauteed in butter
salt and pepper
- Place flour in a large bowl and make a well in center.
- Add water and egg and stir to make a soft non-sticky dough, if dough is too sticky, add more flour, 1/4 cup at a time.
- In a separate bowl, prepare filling by combining all ingredients.
- Add about 2 tsp. of filling to dough and knead in.
- Roll out dough about 1/8" thick.
- Cut out large rounds, 3 to 4" (I use the widest glass I have).
- Place about a tablespoon of filling on one side of each circle.
- Moisten edges with water and fold over to close.
- Pinch edges or use fork to seal.
- After filling all pierogies, place in boiling water until they float.
- Freeze for later use or fry in butter over medium heat and light brown both sides.