cooking apple, peeled and diced
1 1/3 lbs
- In a heavy based saucepan or preserving pan bring the apples and water to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the lemon juice and blackberries and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the sugar, stirring until it's disolved. Then add the butter and bring to a rolling boil. Continue to boil rapidly for 15 minutes.
- Test if the jam has reached the setting point by droping a little onto a chilled saucer and briefly leaving it to cool. If the surface starts to wrinkle when you push your finger into it from the side it has reached the setting point.
- If not boil a little longer and test again.
- If it doesn't seem to reach its setting point add 1tbsp of lemon juice and boil for another 3-5 minutes.
- Add the liqueur if using and remove the scum that has collected on top with a slotted spoon.
- Leave to cool for 15 mins, to avoid all the fruit collecting at the top, then fill into sterilised jars and seal.