butter, room temperature
apples, peeled, sliced
egg, slightly beaten
- In a bowl, combine flour, salt and 1/3 cup sugar.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs; press into the bottom of a greased 13x9x2 inch baking pan.
- Arrange apple slices on top of crumbs; sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Combine 1/3 cup sugar with cinnamon; sprinkle over apples.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine remaining 1/3 cup sugar with the egg, evaporated milk, vanilla, nuts, and coconut.
- Spoon mixture over baked apples; bake for another 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cut into squares while warm.