onion, finely chopped
garlic cloves, minced
3 cups diced butternut squash or 3 cups acorn squash or 3 cups hubbard squash or 3 cups
winter squash, skin and seeds removed
fresh gingerroot, grated
freshly ground nutmeg
- In a large saucepan, cook the onions in olive oil until translucent but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, and stir until fragrant, 1 minute or less.
- Add the carrots, squash, gingerrot and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer until vegetables are very tender.
- Remove soup from heat and allow to cool to just warm.
- Puree the soup in a food processor or blender. Pour soup back into pan.
- Add the half and half and stir until hot but not boiling. Adjust consistency with a little broth if necessary.
- Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Serve hot.