golden delicious apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
fresh lemon juice
packed light brown sugar
0.5 (17 1/3 ounce) packages
frozen puff pastry, thawed for 30 minutes
( 1 sheet)
diced sharp cheddar cheese
- In a bowl, toss the apples with the lemon juice; add in brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt; toss to combine.
- In a big skillet, melt butter over med-high heat.
- Add in apple mixture; cook/stir 7-10 minutes until apple juices release and apples are slightly softened.
- Sprinkle flour over mixture; cook about 2 minutes; remove from heat and cool.
- Preheat oven to 425°; line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out the pastry sheet to a 12x10 inch rectangle; cut pastry sheet into 6 inch squares.
- Add the diced cheese to the cooled apple mixture.
- Divide the apple mixture in the center of each pastry square, leaving a 1 inch border along the long sides.
- Carefully, fold into triangle shape, crimp the ends together with fork to seal; and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, beat egg and water together to make an egg wash.
- Lightly brush the outside of each square with the egg wash.
- Using a sharp knife, make a small slit in the top of each triangle.
- Bake 20-24 minutes until puffed and golden brown.
- Remove from oven; cool slightly; serve warm.