USE 3 1/2 TO 6 QUARTS SLOW COOKER
onion, finely chopped
carrots, peeled and diced
( about 1 cup)
garlic cloves, mined
( see tip)
cracked black peppercorns
cinnamon stick, piece
( 2 inches)
cremini mushrooms, stemmed and halved
1 (28 ounce) cans
tomatoes, including juice, coarsely chopped 796 mL
3 cups butternut squash (2 inch) or 3 cups
pumpkin, peeled, cubed
( 2 inch)
2 cups cooked dried garbanzo beans or 2 cups
canned chick-peas, drained and rinsed
fresh lemon juice
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add onion and carrots and cook, stirring, until carrots are softened, about 7 minutes. Add garlic, gingerroot, turmeric, salt, peppercorns and cinnamon stick and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add mushrooms and toss until coated. Add tomatoes with juice and bring to a boil. Transfer to slow cooker stoneware.
- Add squash and chickpeas and stir well. Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours or on High for 4 hours, until vegetables are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine honey and lemon juice. Add to slow cooker and stir well. To serve, sprinkle with currants, if using. Serves 6.
- TIP: I prefer a strong gingery flavor in this dish. If you’re ginger-averse, reduce the amount.
- 175 Essential Slow Cooker Classics J. Finlayson.