butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add 4 cups broth, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
- Cover and simmer until squash is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Working in batches, puree soup in blender until smooth.
- Return to same pan.
- Stir in cream.
- Bring soup to simmer.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and additional nutmeg if desired.
- note: This can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over medium heat, thinning with more broth if necessary.