( not shellacked)
carrots, cut into matchsticks
4 cups basmati rice or 4 cups
( for roasting chicken)
oil, for sauteing
( for sauteing)
1 (8 ounce) cans
frozen orange juice concentrate
- For candied orange peel:.
- Coarsely grate orange peels and put in a small saucepan.
- Cover with 1 liter water and bring to a boil, then drain and repeat this process (to reduce the bitterness).
- Cover peels with the sugar and add 1 L water.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer, stirring.
- After 15 minutes, taste it. It should be very sweet syrup. If it's not, add sugar. If it's too thick, add some water.
- Simmer until rind looks translucent around the edges and is swimming in sugary syrup.
- For roasted chicken:.
- Put whole chicken into an oven roasting dish and drown in the orange concentrate and pats of margarine.
- Cover and roast in 375°F oven until cooked (approx 1 1/2 hours).
- When it is done, let it cool slightly in the covered pot until you can safely peel off the skin and cut into bit-sized pieces.
- Drown the pieces in the chicken's sauce until it is time to serve.
- For carrot mixture:.
- Heat 50g margarine and oil in frying pan and sauté the carrots for 5 minutes.
- Add the cinnamon, then add any of the optional dried fruits or nuts and cover and simmer a few minutes longer, until everything has softened.
- Add the candied orange peel with its syrup.
- For rice:.
- Rinse rice until no longer starchy (water should be clear, not milky).
- Boil rice with 4 cups water and 1/2 tsp salt, then simmer for 7 minutes. Do not remove the lid, rather leave the rice to cook in the steam for 1/2 hour.
- Putting it all together:.
- Drain carrot-orange mixture, keeping syrup to be drizzled on according to taste.
- Add the carrots and chicken pieces to the rice and serve.