1 lb leftover mashed potatoes or 1 lb leftover boiled potatoes or 1 lb
leftover roast potato, diced
1 lb leftover cooked cabbage or 1 lb
leftover cooked Brussels sprout, finely chopped
- Mix the cabbage or sprouts with the mashed or diced cooked potatoes and season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Method if using mashed potatoes:.
- Heat the butter in a large frying pan, add the potato mixture and smooth it flat with a spatula.
- Fry over a medium heat for about 8 to 10 minutes or until underside is brown, and the Bubble and Squeak sizzles, bubbles and squeaks! (Sorry, could not resist that!).
- Place a large plate over the pan and turn the pan and plate over so that the bubble and squeak is on the plate.
- Heat the remaining butter in the pan and carefully slide the bubble and squeak back in the pan.
- Cook again over a medium heat until the other side is golden brown.
- Cut into wedges and serve with eggs and bacon for breakfast, or bread and butter for a light snack or supper dish. This is also wonderful as an accompaniment to stews and casseroles.
- Method for diced boiled or roast potatoes:.
- If using diced boiled or roast potatoes, mix all the vegetables together as above, and just fry them in a frying pan together; there is no need to press them down into a cake - stir them regularly to achieve an all over colour; then serve them with a spoon, rather than cut into slices. They still taste the same!