grated fresh ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons
2 (15 ounce) cans
garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
fresh lemon juice
- In large saucepan over medium heat, heat cumin seeds, bay leaf and cinnamon until very fragrant, swirling around to prevent burning.
- Add ginger and garlic, cooking until the smell of those fills the air, then add onions.
- Saute onions, stirring frequently, and adding drops of water to prevent sticking, until they are translucent.
- Add the tomatoes, coriander, turmeric, salt, and cayenne.
- Check for seasoning, adding more as you prefer.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add garbanzo beans (chickpeas), cover, and reduce heat.
- Simmer on low for 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in garam masala and lemon juice just before serving.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of chopped cilantro if you desire.
- Serve with rice, or Indian breads or pitas (breads are best warmed on a hot griddle).