For the sauce
Japanese soy sauce, plus more if needed
( shoyu or tamari)
seasoned rice vinegar
( can use 2 tbsp plain rice vinegar plus 1/2 tsp white sugar)
( whole-grain is nice)
fresh ginger, grated
garlic cloves, minced
toasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon molasses or 1 teaspoon
dark brown sugar
crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon ground star anise (optional) or 1/4 teaspoon
Chinese five spice powder
For the stir-fry
1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs or 1 1/2 lbs
boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 tablespoon peanut oil or 1 tablespoon
1 (8 ounce) cans
water chestnuts, drained
4 cups cooked barley (can use a mix also) or 4 cups cooked short-grain brown rice (can use a mix also) or 4 cups cooked chinese black rice (can use a mix also) or 4 cups
cooked colusari red rice
( can use a mix also)
- First make the sauce:.
- In a bowl, combine the sherry, soy sauce, vinegar, mustard, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, molasses and red pepper flakes.
- Slice the chicken into thin strips along the grain and place them in a small bowl. Add 3 tablespoons of the sauce and toss the chicken to coat. Set aside.
- Cut the broccoli florets from the stalks. Reserve the stalks for another purpose. Cut the florets into small pieces about 1 1/2 inches across the top.
- Heat a large wok or skillet over high heat. Add the peanut oil and swirl to coat the surface. Add the broccoli and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the chicken, water chestnuts, cooked barley, and remaining sauce. Cook uncovered, stirring frequently, until the chicken is cooked 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in sesame seeds and scallion greens. Add more soy sauce, if needed.
- Chenin Blanc is the recommended wine to drink with this dish.
- Vegetarian Brown Rice and Tofu Stir-Fry:.
- Instead of chicken, use 1 pound Asian-style baked tofu, cut into cubes.
- Cook for only 1 minute before adding the sesame seeds.