1 1/2 cups
plum tomatoes, cored and quartered
roasted garlic paste
( from the jar is fine)
1 1/2 tablespoons red currant jelly or 1 1/2 tablespoons
1 1/2 tablespoons
garlic cloves, minced
fine sea salt, to taste
fresh ground black pepper, to taste
salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a bowl combine 1 1/2 cups warm water and raisins and let stand until raisins are soft, at least 15 minutes and up to 1 hour.
- In another small bowl, mix together the vinegar and shallots and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Add vinegar mixture to raisin mixture, then stir in all the remaining ingredients.
- Working in at least three batches, puree the mixture in blender until smooth. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
- Place all batches together in a non-reactive container, cover and refrigerate at least 12 hours to blend flavors.
- Makes about 4 cups sauce.
- Note: can be made 1 week ahead. Keep refrigerated.
- Source: Bon Appétit, August 2007.