your favorite barbecue rub, Carolina BBQ Rub
2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons
salt and pepper
1 1/2 quarts
1 1/4 teaspoons
- Rub the brisket with the Carolina BBQ Rub and let sit for 1 hour.
- Prepare smoker for a 2 hour smoke with cherry and maple woods.
- Smoke Brisket for 2 hours.
- Melt butter in a large pan and brown onion slices.
- Add brisket and sauerkraut.
- Cover with boiling water and put in the oven at a low temperature for 2 hours or until the meat is tender.
- To prepare dumplings, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Using a pastry blender or two knives cut in the butter.
- Quickly stir in enough milk to make a soft dough.
- On a floured surface, roll dough 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut into 12 squares.
- Put the squares on top of the simmering beef and kraut.
- Cover tightly and simmer 20 minutes without removing the cover.
- Serve immediately.