onion, chopped finely
mushrooms, chopped finely
cooked brown rice
brown fruit sauce
( or sweet thai chili sauce)
salt and pepper
oil, to baste
hamburger buns with sesame seeds
green salad leaves
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onions for 3-4 minutes until they just begin to soften.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and mix the rice, breadcrumbs, walnuts, egg and sauces into the vegetables. Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Shape the mixture into 6 burgers. I wet my hands in between burgers as this cuts down on the amount of mixture which sticks to your hands.
- Chill burgers in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Grill burgers on an oiled rack over medium coals/heat for 5-6 minutes on each side, turning once and frequently basting with oil.
- If you don't want to use the grill, place burgers on an oiled baking sheet and bake in a fairly hot oven (around 350F) for approximately 10 minutes per side. Remember to baste as this will create a nice outer "shell" for the burgers.
- If you like, top the burgers with a slice of cheese 2 minutes before the end of cooking.
- Grill onions and tomato slices if desired or eat them fresh.
- Toast the sesame seed buns on the side of the grill or in the oven until toasted and warm.
- Serve the burgers in the toasted buns together with onions and tomatoes.
- From the "Essential Cooking Vegetarian".