garlic cloves, minced
frozen soy crumbles
( or equivalent amount of beef)
saffron thread, crumbled
1 (15 ounce) cans
dried masoor dal
( red split lentils)
lemon, juice and zest of
salt and pepper, to taste
- Saute onions in olive oil until translucent, then add garlic and saute 2-3 minutes more.
- Add frozen soy crumbles directly to pan, stir and cook until no frozen bits remain.
- Add saffron, turmeric, tomatoes and water.
- Stir to combine.
- Pick over dal to remove any debris, rinse well, and add to cooking pot.
- Add lemon zest, cinnamon and allspice and mix well.
- Let simmer on stovetop over medium-low heat, about 20-25 minutes, or as long as needed to completely cook and dissolve the dal. Stir frequently. Add more water if needed.
- Just prior to serving add lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste.