peeled and chopped apple
1 2/3 cups
pastry for double-crust pie
- Preheat oven to 400'F.
- For the filling:.
- In a large saucepan combine the rhubarb, apple, sugar, flour and cinnamon.
- Cook and stir over medium heat just until the mixture thickens. Remove from heat and add the butter. Cool.
- In the meantime, prepare a pastry shell for a double crust pie.
- To assemble the crust:.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of the dough from the center out to form a 12 inch circle. Place this into a 9 inch pie dish.
- Trim to 1/2 inch beyond the edge of the plate.
- Put the prepared filling into the pie shell.
- Roll the remaining pie dough out and form it into a 12 inch circle.
- Cut the pastry (for the lattice) into 3/4 to 1 1 1/4 inch strips.
- Weave the strips over the filling in a lattice pattern. Press the ends of the strips into the crust edge. Fold the bottom pastry over the ends of the strips; crimp the edge.
- To prevent the edges of the crust from burning cover with tin foil.
- You might want to put this on a baking sheet with edges so the bottom of your oven doesn't get any filling on it.
- Bake the pie for 25 minutes. The remove the foil and bake for an additional 25 minutes or until the center is bubbly and the crust golden.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Bon Appetit!