( ready-made & thawed if frozen)
( washed, patted dry & thinly sliced)
( jarred or canned, rinsed & well-drained)
( blue brie suggested, crumbled or diced sml)
( caraway preferred, but may use cumin seeds)
salt & freshly ground black pepper
( to taste)
- Roll pastry to the thickness of a coin. Cut six 12-cm (5-in) rounds & fit into six 10-cm (4-in) tartlet tins or Yorkshire pudding tins. Press the dough rounds well into the sides to make sure they come up beyond the tin edges to allow for shrinkage.
- Line tart cases w/foil, fill w/baking beans or dried lentils & chill for 20 minutes.
- Saute leeks in oil for 5 min till softened & set aside to cool. Preheat oven to Gas Mark 6 (200C or 400F).
- Bake tart cases for 10 minutes. Then remove foil & beans (or lentils) & bake for another 5 minutes. Reduce oven temp to Gas Mark 4 (180C or 350F).
- Divide leeks + sauerkraut among the tart cases, drop in the crumbled or diced cheese & sprinkle w/the caraway or cumin seeds.
- Beat the egg, yolks + milk & pour into the tarts, forking the mixtures to distribute well.
- Return to the oven & bake for 20 min till risen & golden brown. Cool slightly b4 removing from the tins & serve warm.