extra lean ground beef
( less than 10% fat)
reduced-sodium fat-free beef broth
1 (14 1/2 ounce) cans
diced tomatoes with juice, undrained
( no sugar added)
finely shredded cabbage
( I use bagged coleslaw salad mix to save time)
1 (15 ounce) cans
kidney beans, rinsed and drained
( or canneloni or great northern beans, no sugar added)
garlic clove, minced
salt & pepper
parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Brown beef ovr medium heat in a 6-quart soup pot and drain (rinse in hot water, drain, and return to pot, if desired).
- Add onion and garlic. Cook until onion is tender.
- Add remaining ingredients (except cheese) and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top, if desired.