fresh rosemary, chopped
garlic cloves, crushed
red onions, quartered
- Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- Remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken.
- Rinse chicken under cold water; pat dry.
- Trim excess fat.
- Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breast and drumsticks by inserting fingers and gently pushing fingers between skin and meat.
- Place rosemary and crushed garlic beneath skin of breast and drumsticks.
- Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under chicken.
- Place chicken, breast side up, on a broiler pan.
- Cut a thin slice from end of each onion.
- Remove white papery skins from garlic heads (do not peel or separate cloves).
- Cut tops off garlic heads, leaving root end intact.
- Insert meat thermometer into meaty part of thigh, making sure not to touch bone.
- Bake at 450ºF for 30 minutes.
- Brush onions and garlic heads with olive oil.
- Arrange onions and garlic heads around chicken.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350ºF, bake an additional 1 hour 15 minutes or until meat thermometer registers 180ºF.
- Cover chicken loosely with foil; let stand 10 minutes.
- Discard skin from chicken.
- Squeeze roasted heads of garlic to extract pulp; serve as a spread on French bread, if desired.