( can use 1 chopped onion if your family likes onion)
sauerkraut, with juice
Velveeta cheese, cubed
- Melt butter in a large dutch oven.
- Chop the sausage coarsely by hand or in a food processor (leave the casing on).
- Transfer the sausage to pan with melted butter, and season with onion powder (or add onion).
- Saute over medium heat until the sausage is lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- On a small plate combine the flour, thyme, parsley and pepper. Add to the sausage and brown all together until the mixture bubbles up, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, milk and the half-and-half, and cook stirring until the mixture again bubbles up, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sauerkraut and it juice and bring to a boil; the mixture will continue to thicken.
- Reduce heat and add Velveeta, stirring until melted.