1 1/2 teaspoons
- Peel and dice potatoes.
- Place in a medium saucepan, cover with water and add salt.
- Bring to a boiling and cook until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes; drain and cool. Melt 2 teaspoons of butter in a 10-inch heavy skillet; add potatoes and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix dry ingredients and parsley, if desired.
- Cut in remaining butter with a pastry blender or fork until the mixture resembles crumbs.
- In a cup, whisk together the buttermilk and egg.
- Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients and stir well to combine.
- With floured hands, divide dough into thirds.
- Mix one third into potatoes, pressing into pan.
- On a lightly floured board, shape remaining dough into a patty to fit in skillet.
- Press dough patty onto potato mixture.
- Using a knife, mark top of dough into six wedges similar to pie slices, being careful not to cut all the way through the dough.
- Cover skillet tightly and cook over medium heat about 18 minutes or until dough is firm.
- In the meantime, preheat broiler.
- Remove skillet lid and brown bread, uncovered, under the broiler for 2-3 minutes until golden.
- Serve immediately.