1 1/2 lbs pumpkin or 1 1/2 lbs
marrow, peeled and fibrous centre removed, cut into cubes
1 ounce currants or 1 ounce
- Place the pumpkin in a colander over a pan of boiling water and steam for about 20 minutes or until tender. Mash to a pulp and allow to cool.
- Grease and line a 10 - 12" diameter round tin with the shortcrust pastry and reserve the trimmings for decoration.
- Prick the base, line with greaseproof paper and baking beans. Bake at 375F, Gas Mark 5, 190C for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the beans and paper and bake for a further 5 minutes.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar together with the nutmeg, ginger and ground cinnamon.
- Fold in the mashed pumpkin, currants or raisins and 4 tablespoons of milk and pour into the pastry case.
- Roll out the pastry trimmings and cut into strips with a pastry wheel.
- Brush the strips and the pastry edges with the remaining milk and position strips in a criss-cross lattice pattern over the pie top.
- Bake at 375F, Gas Mark 5, 190C for about 30 to 40 minutes, or until filling has set.
- Cut into wedges and serve warm or cold with whipped cream.