fresh orange, wiped clean
- Peel the oranges with a swivel head potato or vegetable peeler, or use a special zester.
- Try to peel into long strips, and do not peel the bitter white pith, under the skin.
- Lay the peel out onto a tray lined with greaseproof paper. Cover with an umbrella fly cover and place outside in direct sunshine.
- Leave for about 6 hours; the peel will curl up and shrivel when it is totally dried - it should feel hard and crisp.
- Store in an airtight container in a dark place for up to one year.
- Use in cakes, scones, muffins, cookies, daubes, stews, curries, casseroles, marinades, sauces, sugars and all manner of things!