apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1 1/2 tablespoons
lemon zest, finely grated
Pastry for double crust pie
2/3 cup lard or 2/3 cup butter or 2/3 cup
- Pastry for double crust pie-------------.
- Combine flour, lard and salt with a pastry blender or fork until balls are the size of a large pea.
- Add cold water by the spoonful and blend until the bowl starts to clean itself as you work the dough.
- Then it is ready for rolling.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Combine sliced apples with sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon rind.
- Line pie plate with unbaked pie crust, trim pastry, crimp to edge of pie plate. Fill pie crust with apple mixture and dot with softened butter.
- Brush crust edge with water and place pie crust top on top of pie, crimp to the bottom crust. Make some slits in the top crust for steam to escape. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Turn oven down to 350°F and bake for 45 minutes longer.