edamame, in the pod
( 1 cup shelled)
1 cup arborio rice, Vialone nano or 1 cup
parmesan cheese, freshly grated
salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan, bring the broth to a boil.
- Add the edamame and cook as long as specified on the package, usually 5 minutes.
- Remove the beans and spread them out on a large plate.
- Reserved the broth.
- As soon as the beans are cooled, pinch pods to remove the beans.
- Discard the pods.
- In a small skillet over medium high heat, warm the oil and 1 Tablespoon of the butter; add the onion and cook, stirring until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Then add the rice, stirring until it turns from translucent to opaque (do not brown), about 2 minutes.
- Scrape the rice into the slow cooker.
- Add the warm broth.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 hours.
- The risotto should be only a bit liquid and the rice should be al dente.
- Stir in the edamame and the remaining 1 Tablespoon of butter.
- Cover and wait about 5 minutes for the edamame to warm up and the butter to soften.
- Stir in the cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.