onion, finely chopped
garlic clove, finely chopped
spinach, thick stalks removed and leaves shredded
1 1/2 cups
diced mozzarella cheese
of fresh grated nutmeg
salt and pepper
red pepper flakes
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy pan.
- Add sunflower seeds to the pan and cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes until golden.
- Add the onion and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, until soft but not brown.
- Add the garlic, the optional red pepper flakes and the spinach, cover, and cook for a further 2-3 minutes until the spinach has wilted.
- Remove from the heat and season to taste with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Let cool.
- Cut off and reserve a thin slice from the top of each tomato and scoop out the flesh with a spoon, taking care not to pierce the shell. Chop the flesh and stir into the spinach and cheese mixture.
- Fill each tomato shells with some of the spinach and cheese mixture and replace the tops.
- Cut 4 squares of foil, each large enough to enclose a tomato. Place 1 tomato int he center of each square and fold up the sides to enclose securly.
- Cook the stuffed tomatoes on a hot grill, turning them occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Serve immedicately in the foil parcels.
- Note: I have also baked these in a hot oven and they turned out great.