1 1/4 lbs
lean ground beef
egg, lightly beaten
onion, halved and thinly sliced
( I use a large onion)
( can use more)
1 (14 1/2 ounce) cans
salt, to taste
- Heat oven to 350 degrees; place a rack on a baking sheet and coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- In large bowl, mix ground beef, egg, bread crumbs, garlic salt, 1/2 t Italian seasoning, 1/4 teaspoon of the black pepper.
- Form into 40 meatballs, about 1 level tablespoon each.
- Place on prepared rack over baking sheet.
- Bake meatballs at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and mushrooms and cook 6-7 minutes, stirring occasionally or until lightly browned.
- Sprinkle flour over the mixture, stir and cook 1 minute.
- Gradually stir in beef broth until flour is completely incorporated into the liquid.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the remaining 1/2 t Italian seasoning, 1/4 t pepper and the nutmeg.
- Add salt to taste.
- Add meatballs to the skillet and reduce heat to medium low.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with buttered egg noodles, if desired.