extra virgin olive oil
boneless skinless chicken breasts
( 6-8 oz each)
fresh white mushrooms, sliced 1/4 inch thick
garlic clove, crushed through a press
salt & freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup dry white wine or 1/2 cup
1 (14 1/2 ounce) cans
italian-style plum tomatoes with juice
( or tomato sauce)
chopped fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, heat oil; add the chicken and mushrooms. Cook over medium-low heat until golden, about 3 minutes per side.
- Add the garlic, salt and pepper to taste; stir until blended. Transfer the chicken and mushrooms to a side dish.
- Add the wine to the skillet. Increase the heat to high and boil the wine, scraping up any browned pieces from the bottom of the skillet, until reduced to a thin film.
- Add the tomatoes and heat to boiling, breaking the whole tomatoes into pieces with the side of a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Return the chicken, mushrooms, and any juices to the skillet. Add the dried oregano (if using fresh, add later). Bring to a gentle simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally; cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 8 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- If chicken is done, but sauce is too thin for your liking: Transfer the chicken to a side dish. Boil the tomato sauce over high heat, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened. Then return chicken to skillet.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.