2 1/4 cups
boiling chicken stock
- Break the vermicelli into 1-inch pieces (or use an Arab or Indian brand that is already broken up).
- In a wide non-stick skillet, saute onion in oil till translucent, and remove from pan.
- Saute vermicelli pieces in leftover oil till golden (this happens mroe quickly than you expect it to).
- Add onions back to pan and add rice; stir to combine.
- Pour in boiling stock, stir.
- Cook over very low heat for about 20 minutes.
- This time will vary depending on the age and type of rice you use.
- If desired, stir in a pat of butter before serving.