2 1/2 tablespoons
hot red chili pepper, thinly sliced crosswise
green onions, thinly sliced, white and green parts divided
large shrimp, shelled and deveined
unsweetened coconut milk
green curry paste, Thai
light brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 tablespoons
fish sauce, Asian
fresh lime juice
fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté chile and white parts of scallions, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned.
- Transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
- Pat scallops and shrimp dry separately and season with salt.
- Heat remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in same skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then cook scallops until browned, 2 to 3 minutes on each side (scallops will be almost cooked through).
- Transfer scallops to a bowl with slotted spoon and sauté shrimp in same skillet, stirring occasionally, until almost cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- Add shrimp to scallops.
- Add coconut milk, curry paste, broth, brown sugar, fish sauce, and lime juice to skillet, then simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook linguine in a 6- to 8-quart pot of boiling salted water until al dente, then drain in a colander.
- Stir scallops and shrimp with any liquid in bowl into sauce in skillet and heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer until scallops and shrimp are just cooked through, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer seafood to a clean bowl with slotted spoon and add linguine and cilantro to sauce in skillet, tossing to coat.
- Divide pasta and sauce among 4 bowls.
- Top with seafood and sprinkle with scallion greens and chile mixture.