waxy potato, peeled and very thinly sliced
fresh ground black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
- Put the potato slices in a colander and rinse under running water to get rid of the starch. Place on a cloth in a single layer and pat dry.
- Generously grease the base of an ovenproof pan or baking dish with melted butter.
- Arrange the potato slices in the pan in overlapping circles , brushing butter over each layer and seasoning as you go.
- Cover with greaseproof paper or a lid. Bake in the oven for 45minutes or up to 1 hour. Test with a skewer to see if the potatoes are done.
- Cooks Notes:.
- Cook this in a cast-iron, heavy-bottomed, stubby-handled frying pan that goes in the oven. Traditionally it should be lidded - mine isn't, so I use greaseproof paper.
- Historical Note:.
- Mrs. Landemare's original recipe is:.
- Potatoes. Fresh butter.
- Peel some potatoes and cut into very thin rounds the size of a florin. Wash in salted water and dry very well in a cloth. Well butter an omelette pan. Place a layer of potatoes on the bottom. Cover with oiled [melted] butter, pepper and salt. Repeat these layers until the pan is full and cook in a medium [350°F] over until brown [40-60 min.] Remove from the oven, turn out and cut into slices or serve whole in a dish.