10 ounces spaghetti or 10 ounces
2 1/2 tablespoons
extra virgin olive oil, divided use
garlic cloves, minced
mixed mushrooms, finely chopped
2 (6 1/2 ounce) cans
minced clams, including juice from 1 can
red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon
lemon, juice of
fresh ground black pepper
fresh Italian parsley, coarsely chopped
( or less, if you prefer)
- Start water to boil for pasta.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium high heat in a small or medium saucepan.
- Add garlic and saute until softened, a few minutes. Add mushrooms (if using), clams, and juice from one of the cans of clams. Turn heat to high.
- Add red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, oregano, wine, and lemon juice. Let simmer on high until at least three fourths of liquid has evaporated, about 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta until it is al dente.
- Drain pasta. Add pasta back to empty pot (off heat) and coat with 1/2 tablespoon of oil.
- Take sauce off heat. Add black pepper to taste, and parsley.
- Immediately add half of the sauce to the pasta and toss.
- Plate pasta, top with other half of sauce, and serve.