( or your flavour of choice)
confectioners' sugar, sifted
- Combine gelatine and cold water; let stand until thick. Warm gelatine mixture and heat until dissolved(Do Not Boil).
- Add corn syrup and glycerine, mix well. Stir in shortening and just before completely melted, remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Mixture should cool until lukewarm.
- Place 4 cups confectioners' sugar in large bowl. Make a well in the center and using a wooden spoon, stir in the lukewarm gelatine mixture. Mix in the sugar and add more a little at a time, until stickiness disappears.
- Switching to your hands, knead in remaining sugar making sure to keep a lot of icing sugar between your hands and the fondant to prevent the fondant from sticking to your hands. Knead until the fondant is smooth, pliable and does not stick to your hands. If fondant is to soft, add more sugar; to stiff, add water(a drop at a time).
- Wrap fondant tightly in plastic wrap and store in a n air tight container. Allow the fondant to set for at least 12 hours before using it.
- When ready to use dust the table with cornstarch and dust rolling pin as well. Roll out fondant as desired and cover cake. Will cover a 12 inch cake.