red leaf lettuce
- Remove any brown or heavily wilted outer leaves from all three kinds of head of lettuce.
- Fill a clean sink almost to the top with cold water. Add your red leaf and romaine lettuce.
- With your radicchio lettuce you'll want to simply peel the leaves off one by one and add to the cold sink.
- Let sit for 5 minutes. Then gently shake the lettuce under the water to move the water through the leaves and losen debris.
- Let sit for another 5-10 minutes so all of the dirt/sand/stuff settles to the bottom of the sink.
- Remove lettuce(s) and rinse once more with fresh cold water from the tap before laying on paper towel.
- Now simply break off pieces into decent bite size pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Doing one batch at a time (I don't know how big your salad spinner is) use your salad spinner (I like to use a med size model with the hand pump at the top)to remove excess water.
- Once dried in spinner, toss in carrots and store in large gallon size plastic bags. Store in the bottom crisper drawer in your fridge.