( about 3 1/2 lbs.)
onion, cut in half
celery, cut in half
lemon, cut in half
garlic cloves, unpeeled
( 2 whole heads)
dry white wine
1 (14 1/2 ounce) cans
chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix oil, rosemary, and thyme in small bowl.
- Rub over outside of chicken.
- Place onion, celery, and lemon in cavity of chicken.
- Place chicken, breast side up, in dutch oven.
- Scatter garlic around chicken.
- Pour white wine and chicken broth into dutch oven.
- Place on stove top, cover, and bring to boil.
- Transfer to preheated oven, and bake, covered 25 minutes.
- Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees, uncover, and bake for 55-60 minutes.
- Remove chicken and garlic to platter and cover with foil.
- Skim as much fat as possible from pot.
- Squeeze out 6 cloves of garlic into small bowl, mash to a paste, then whisk in about 1/4 cup of cooking liquid.
- Stir in parsley and salt.
- Serve broth with chicken, along with remaining cloves of garlic as garnish on each plate.
- To eat garlic, gently press with fork to squeeze out from skin.