dry elbow macaroni
1 -2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms (optional) or 1 -2
sliced diced white onion
1 (8 ounce) packages
1 1/2 teaspoons sysco chicken base or 1 1/2 teaspoons
vegetable stock base
3/4 cup milk or 3/4 cup
1 1/2 teaspoons
2 1/2 cups
shredded mozzarella cheese
white bread, toasted, broken in little cubes
Pam cooking spray
- In two quarts of boiling water, add the dry macaroni. Also add the sliced mushrooms and diced onion. Cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Drain. Save the water if you wish for a vegetable base for soup.
- In large bowl, add cream cheese, chicken or vegetable base and 1 tsp margarine. Mix well.
- Then add milk and seasoning salt and pepper.
- Add cooked macaroni and onion and mushrooms.
- Toss until mixed.
- Mix flour and water. Add to macaroni.
- Add 1 1/2 cup cheese. Mix.
- Spray Pam in 8x10 or 9x13 glass pan. Preheat oven 350°.
- Melt half cup margarine. Add bread cubes.
- Pour macaroni cheese mixture in glass pan.
- Sprinkle the balance of mozzarella cheese on top.
- Add buttered bread cubes.
- Note: If you want to have meat in the dish,cook 8 slices of bacon,drained and cut in small pieces and add to macaroni before the buttered bread cubes.
- Bake 35 minutes. If refrigerated, bake about 10 minutes more.
- It is a very good dish to serve the following day. The flavors seem to intensify.