( use fresh only)
potatoes, peeled and sliced very thin
country-style dijon mustard
- Mix the thyme, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Grate the cheddar cheese and mix lightly with the flour.
- In another bowl, mix the cream, broth and mustard.
- Cover the bottom of a buttered baking dish with a layer of potatoes.
- Sprinkle 1/3 of the spices, ham and cheese.
- Put down another layer of potatoes, then another third of the spices, ham and cheese. Then one final layer of potatoes, spices, cheese and ham.
- Pour in the liquid and bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brown the bread crumbs lightly in a skillet with the butter.
- Sprinkle them over the potatoes and bake another 45 minutes.
- Let the dish stand for 5 or 10 minutes before serving.