( we like russets or yukon gold)
canned evaporated milk
salt and pepper
- Peel potatoes and cut into quarters.
- Place potatoes into stockpot. Add enough salted water to cover the potatoes by about 1-inch.
- Cover pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are fork tender but not mushy, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Drain potatoes in colander. Place potatoes back into stockpot.
- Meanwhile, heat evaporated milk in microwave (use a pyrex measuring cup) until warm, about 45 seconds.
- Add butter to potatoes and mash with a potato masher. Add warmed milk to potatoes along with pepper to taste.
- Mix and mash well, but don't overdo it.