eggs, lightly beaten
pure vanilla extract
unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
lemon zest, grated
unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Line muffin pans with paper liners or spray with a vegetable spray.
- In a small measuring cup mix together the milk, eggs, and vanilla extract. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and blend into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or two knives. The mixture should look like coarse crumbs.
- Remove 1 cup of the mixture and place in a small bowl to make a streusel topping later.
- Gently fold in the blueberries and lemon zest.
- Add the milk and egg mixture to the flour mixture. Stir until just combined.
- Fill each muffin cup about two-thirds full with the batter.
- For streusel topping: Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and drizzle over the reserved 1 cup of streusel topping.
- Mix together with a fork until it is crumbly and looks like coarse meal.
- Sprinkle a couple of teaspoons of the streusel over the top of each muffin.
- Place in the oven and bake until very lightly browned and firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 18 - 20 minutes.
- Place on a wire rack to cool.