extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup pecans or 1/2 cup
( or more)
12 cups spinach or 12 cups
baby greens, this dressing sticks better to soft lettuces
2 apples, cut into thin wedges (I like to use pink ladies) or 2
pears, cut into wedges
blue cheese, cut into pieces
( or more)
1/4 red onions, cut into eighths and sliced (optional) or 1 -2
- To make dressing, reduce port wine to 3 tablespoons.
- Transfer port syrup to another container, and whisk in balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, and olive oil. Dressing may be made in advance, and re-whisked before serving.
- Bring water to a boil in a medium pot. Using a strainer or sieve, dip nuts in boiling water for one minute (this removes some of the bitterness).
- Transfer nuts to a bowl and immediately sprinkle with sugar. Mix until all of the sugar is melted.
- Heat canola oil on medium high heat in a nonstick pan. Sauté nuts for a few minutes. The nuts will become sort of candied.
- Scatter nuts on a plate and sprinkle with spices. Toss to coast. Stir occasionally as nuts are cooling. Nuts may be kept for up to one week.
- Toss spinach with dressing, and arrange apples, red onions, nuts, and blue cheese over the salad.