yellow onion, chopped
green bell pepper, chopped
garlic cloves, minced
1 (14 1/2 ounce) cans
Tomatoes, including juice, slightly pureed
( to taste)
fresh ground black pepper
2 (15 ounce) cans
black beans, drained and rinsed
2 -3 cups
cubed cooked chicken breasts
grated monterey jack cheese
plain nonfat yogurt
sliced green onion
chopped black olives
- In a big skillet, warm the oil over medium heat; add in onion, green pepper, and garlic; saute about 5 minutes, until vegetables are soft.
- Add in tomatoes, salsa, cumin, salt, pepper, and oregano; stir to mix.
- Stir in beans and chicken.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a lightly oiled 4-quart casserole spread 1/3 of the bean-chicken mixture over the bottom.
- Top with 4 tortillas and sprinkle with 1 cup cheese.
- Add another 1/3 of the bean-chicken mixture and 1 cup cheese.
- Top with 4 tortillas and 1 cup cheese.
- Add remaining bean-chicken mixture; cover and bake about 40 minutes, until bubbly.
- Uncover and sprinkle with remaining cheese; cook 10 minutes; let stand 5 minutes before serving.