garlic cloves, chopped
waxy potatoes, peeled and diced
1 cup gruyere (or other hard, white cheese) or 1 cup
( or other hard, white cheese)
salt and pepper
- Fry the bacon and remove to paper towel to drain.
- Pour all but a tablespoon of the fat from the pan and add the butter to get hot.
- Fry the onion until soft and golden, adding the garlic for a minute or two at the end.
- Deglaze with a splash of balsamic vinegar, if you like. Remove all to a plate.
- Add the oil to the pan to get hot.
- Cook the potatoes, seasoned with salt and pepper, until soft inside when pierced with a fork, and very crisp and golden on the outside. This will take a good 20 minutes, without stirring too much or they won’t get brown.
- Return the onion, garlic, and bacon to the pan.
- Scatter the cheese over the top and leave the pan on the heat, covered, until the cheese has melted, about a minute.
- Serve with mixed salad greens.