1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup
creamy peanut butter
( or chunky but is seems to make a more crumbly dry cookie)
3 -3 1/2 cups
dry quick-cooking oats
- Add the first four ingredients into a 4-quart sauce pan.
- Bring to a rolling boil and hold for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Add peanut butter into the hot mixture and stir until melted.
- Add in vanilla. (almond extract is good also, but I only use 1/2 teaspoon almond and 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla).
- Mix in the oats and drop by tablespoons onto wax paper.
- Let cool until set.
- *Please remember that even if you do follow the recipe exactly, it doesn't always turn out just right. I have had these not set up for me AND be hard and dry. But most of the time, the recipe is just right. I have also found that it makes a difference if you use quick cooking oats or old fashioned. In my experience it takes more old fashioned oats than quick cooking and I like the texture of the quick cooking better. When you make it a few hundred times like I have you learn a couple of things:) Also, Chunky peanut butter tends to make them more dry and crumbly.