apple cider vinegar
- Chop onions finely by hand or in a food processor.
- Turn out into a glass bowl and add 1/4 cup of salt and allow to stand for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Drain juice from onions and discard.
- Put onions in an enameled or stainless steel pot and add vinegar, turmeric, spices (tied into cheese cloth ball), pimentos and sugar. Bring to a boil and allow to cook until onions are transparent.
- Pack onions and cooking liquid into canning jars, leaving a 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and place lids on jars according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Process jars in a water bath for 10 minutes or adjusted to your altitude.