virgin olive oil
garlic clove, crushed
( or to taste)
red bell pepper, quartered and cut into 1/4-inch wide strips
zucchini, cut into 2-inch x 1/4 inch strips
( use firm or very well-drained ricotta cheese)
cheddar cheese, grated
parmesan cheese, grated
fresh basil, shredded
black olives, pitted and sliced
- Preheat oven 350F degrees.
- Lightly grease four 3-inch by 1-inch fluted tart pans. Sprinkle the base and sides of each pan with 1 teaspoon of breadcrumbs.
- Make the Topping: Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a frying pan. Add the garlic, bell pepper, and zucchini and cook, stirring, over medium heat until the vegetables are soft (about 5 minutes).
- Remove from heat and add proscuitto. Season to taste.
- In a bowl, combine the ricotta with the grated cheeses and remaining breadcrumbs. Season.
- Press the mixture into the pans and smooth the surface. Sprinkle with basil.
- Scatter the vegetable topping over the ricotta mixture, top with olives, then drizzle with the remaining oil.
- Bake until the tarts are slightly puffed and golden, about 20 minutes.
- Cool completely. The tarts will deflate as they cool.
- Carefully remove the tarts from the tins.
- Do not refrigerate.