( flour can be used, too)
canned diced green chiles
2 (15 ounce) cans
green enchilada sauce
( or 1 big can, I think 32 oz.)
cooked chicken, shredded
( buy a couple rotisserie chicken breasts at the supermarket and shred those to save time)
chihuahua cheese, shredded
( Mexican cheese found in specialty cheese case)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Wrap tortillas (6 tortillas in two packets) in foil and heat in oven until warm and soft.
- Meanwhile, (back at the ranch), in a large heavy saucepan or cast iron skillet, sauté onion in oil for 3-4 minutes.
- Add spices and green chilies, cooking over a low heat.
- Add salsa and chicken, increasing heat to medium and stir until hot. (If the mixture seems dry, add a little enchilada sauce.).
- In the bottom of a 13 x 9 inch casserole, spread about 1/4 of the enchilada sauce.
- Place even amounts of the chicken mixture on each tortilla, roll up, and place in baking dish seam-side down.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the top and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 375 degrees until the cheese is hot/bubbly and a little browned.