ready to eat smoked mackerel, skinned and cubed
onion, finely chopped
1 (8 ounce) cans
red wine vinegar
salt and pepper
mixed beans e.g red kidney beans
- heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onion and garlic until soft and transparent.
- stir in the tomatoes, tomato puree, vinegar, sugar and bay leaf - bring to the boil.
- season and stir in the beans.
- Cover and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- stir in the fish, cover and cook until piping hot, approximately 5 minutes.
- serve with cous cous or chunky french bread.