1 (14 1/2 ounce) cans
jalapenos, roasted, peeled and chopped
onion, roasted and chopped
cumin seed, toasted and ground
1 1/2 tablespoons
seasoned rice wine vinegar
- Drizzle olive oil over the onion and season with salt and pepper. A drizzle of lime juice is a nice touch as well. Wrap the onion in foil and place in a 350 oven or indirect on grill for about 10 minutes.
- Roast chilies. You can do this on your grill. We have a small chilie roaster and use the rotisserie.
- When done place chilies in a plastic bag for about 10 minutes. Then peel, seed and chop. Chop onion.
- Put the cut toms, (seasoned) rice wine vinegar and water in a small sauce pan and break up. I use a potato masher, works well. Add chopped chilies, onion, cumin and oregano. Bring to a boil then simmer just for a couple of minutes. DO NOT REDUCE.
- After boiling let the salsa cool for about 20 minutes THEN add the cilantro. If you add it too early then the leaves cook and become wilted.
- Let cool and that’s it.