1 1/2 cups
self raising flour
apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- Cream the sugar with the butter, until light, fluffy and pale golden. Slowly add the beaten eggs and then add flour, bit by bit - mixing well after each addition.
- Mix gently, pour mixture into greased 9 inch square pan.
- Peel and slice apples.
- Place slices on top of the mixture. (Place apple slices as close as possible to each other).
- Mix sugar and cinnamon.
- Sprinkle this topping over the apples.
- Bake for about 60 minutes in a 180C/350F oven, until well risen and golden.
- This delicious apple cake can be served warm or cold with cream or creme fraiche.
- It keeps and freezes very well - separate the slices with greaseproof paper for freezing.